Before iCloud there was MobileMe from Apple. I had setup my google mail account to download my MobileMe mail via pop3, set it to read status and archive past inbox. So I had a nice hidden searchable backup in case MobileMe lost my data.
Like most folks I moved my MobileMe to iCloud. Turns out starting Dec 21 the pop3 access quit working. Best I can tell is iCloud is now only supporting IMAP syncing.
So how to restore my backup. After talking with @johnfbraun I gave the forwarding option in iCloud a try. It works when paired with an appropriate filter rule in gmail.
- In iCloud go into preferences via the web page once logged into mail at iCloud.com.
- In the general tab, check the box to forward and enter your gmail or google apps email address.
- Do NOT check the box delete after forward if you want to still interact with that mail through the iCloud account on your devices.
- Next go to your gmail. Go into the Mail settings and filters.
- Make a filter based on the TO: matching your @me.com address.
- Use the actions to Skip Inbox, Mark as read, Apply label
You want to use a label so you can quickly jump to all mail that came to your iCloud account.
That is it. Works fine for new mail, though we have noticed a few delays in mail making it over to google. Perhaps Apple is batch processing forwards.